Shelter WA was pleased to join over 70 organisations and individuals in partnership with the Western Australian Alliance to End Homelessness calling on the Federal Government to lead the development of a COVID-19 National Response Plan for Homeless People Sleeping Rough.
Specific requests include investments to:
- Maintain current crisis responses for people sleeping rough for as long as is necessary;
- Rapidly house and support people who have been temporarily sheltered – including through the use of medium-term private rental subsidies;
- Support community efforts to better meet, track and help prevent future rough sleeping homelessness through improved coordination on of housing and support services;
- Build more social housing in Australia and provide the needed supports, including dedicated supportive housing initiatives and
- Ensure income support payments are adequate.
Nobody should be living on the streets at anytime, and the pandemic showed the critical importance of having a home to self-isolate. A national strategy, developed in partnership with other spheres of government and the sector is critical to inform an evidence based response.