A new grant to assist renters pay their rent if all else fails
On 1 April 2020, the Queensland Treasurer announced a new grant to assist renters pay their rent if all else fails and they have exhausted all other options to pay their rent.
What is the criteria?
A grant of up to $2,000 can be accessed by Queensland renters if they meet the following criteria:
• You have, or will shortly have, a bond registered with the Residential Tenancies Authority
• You are an Australian citizen, permanent resident, or have a temporary or permanent protection visa or possess a bridging visa
• You do not have more than $10,000 in cash and savings
• You can provide evidence of attempts to negotiate a payment plan with your lessor
• You have lost your job and have applied to Centrelink for income support
• You are waiting for your application with Centrelink to be approved.
We work with the McGowan Government
This is a great initiative to support renters who remain unable to pay their rent. The $2,000 can cover approximately four weeks’ rent.
Shelter WA continues to work with the McGowan Government to fund programs and initiatives that will help vulnerable and low income households in WA meet their obligations in a COVID-19 environment.