Policy/Senior Policy Officer
(6-month contract with scope for extension. Salary: $68,435 to $87,323 subject to qualifications, knowledge and experience + superannuation, and generous salary sacrifice and employment conditions).
Shelter WA is the not-for-profit peak body for affordable housing in Western Australia, representing and promoting the interests of low-income housing consumers and people experiencing homelessness in WA. Shelter WA’s role is to provide advice to government on affordable housing policy, contribute to homeless services development and evaluation through research, consultation and participation in government and non-government committees and working groups, and respond to public discussion opportunities.
We are seeking an energetic, creative person for an exciting position, that will be involved in strategically developing policy solutions to positively influence social and affordable housing outcomes in Western Australia. The Policy Officer will contribute to Shelter WA’s policy advice and systemic advocacy by conducting research and actively engaging with stakeholders to inform policy submissions and research reports on housing and homelessness issues. The role also involves managing allocated projects and requires a strong focus on results.
The position is responsible to and works under general direction of the Manager Policy and Strategy or as directed.
The position is full time, though consideration may be given to part time arrangements. The position may also be suitable for persons seeking a secondment.
An outline of the duties of the position is as follows:
- develops policy positions for Shelter WA based on stakeholder engagement and relevant research;
- identifies areas of housing need and gaps in affordable housing provision for low-income and otherwise disadvantaged consumers including people who are homeless or at risk of homelessness;
- identifies opportunities to contribute to planning, affordable housing, and homelessness policies to improve housing outcomes in Western Australia;
- gathers and analyses data for submissions through a variety of means;
- drafts submissions on affordable housing and homelessness issues to relevant government agencies;
- manages relationships and engages with new and existing stakeholders to encourage participation in Shelter WA activities, inform policy submissions and research reports and assist stakeholders to achieve their objectives where appropriate;
- prepares information for Shelter WA’s fact sheets, media releases, policy positions, newsletter and other communication channels;
- develops funding proposals and prepares reports as required;
- undertakes relevant projects, ensuring appropriate planning, implementation, monitoring and evaluation.
- Tertiary qualification in a relevant discipline
- Demonstrated ability to analyse policy, data and contribute to systemic advocacy
- Excellent written communication skills, including report writing, graphical representation and document preparation skills
- Strong verbal communication and interpersonal skills, including the ability to facilitate meetings, workshops and stakeholder engagement processes with government, industry, the community services sector and the broader community
- Demonstrated ability to manage multiple projects simultaneously and possess strong time management and task prioritisation skills
- National Police Clearance
- Demonstrated knowledge and understanding of policies and issues relevant to social and affordable housing and homelessness
- Demonstrated ability to work in the community sector in a small team environment
- Knowledge of the broader housing sector
- Knowledge or experience in the field of economics
Applications close at 5:00pm on Monday 26 February 2018.
To speak with someone about the position contact Sei Hwee Lee on 9325 6660. In order to be considered for an interview for this position, applicants must provide a current CV, a current National Police Check, a response to the Selection Criteria and the contact details of two professional referees, to the Chief Executive Officer at email@example.com