Shelter WA works closely with the WA Housing Authority to engage community and housing stakeholders in the Affordable Housing Strategy 2010-2020: Aiming Higher goals and outcomes.
Shelter WA has given its strong support to the development of the strategy. We believe that delivering on the vision of accessible, affordable, appropriate and secure housing and the elimination of homelessness requires strong leadership from government. This leadership is needed to facilitate government investment, direct policy levers and maximise the contribution of not for profits and the private sector to housing outcomes.
The focus areas of the strategy are to:
- Facilitate increased supply and diversity of housing to better meet population needs – particularly at the affordable end of the market.
- Support quality high density development around key transport links and activity centres to help lower living costs and decrease congestion.
- Work with the private sector to introduce transformative construction methods, and unlock potential within underutilised sites of buildings.
- Streamline government processes to reduce barriers to market efficiency, entrepreneurial activity and the supply and affordability of housing.
- Leverage government roles and assets to catalyse investment that delivers social and economic outcomes.
If you would like to be kept up to date, or have input into the strategy, please subscribe below.